Ron Murphy Memorial Scholarship Application
Must be submitted by May 20th, 2013
“Victory belongs to the most persevering” ~ Ron Murphy
Ronald Richard Murphy passed away on February 14, 2012 after a hard-fought battle with melanoma cancer. Aside from spending time with his family, Ron’s passion was teaching and coaching football. Ron spent time coaching at Poway, Santana, West Hills, Southwestern and Mesa College with his final stop at Grossmont High School. His last four years as a teacher and the head football coach at Grossmont High School, where he felt honored to be a Foothiller and privileged to be around great staff, students and especially his football players will be the place most remembered by us all. This scholarship will be given to a senior standout as a tribute to Coach Murphy and his dedication to his student athletes.
- This scholarship will be presented to a senior student athlete that played at least two years of Varsity football at Grossmont High School, who has plans of furthering their education- through an accredited 2 or 4-year University or vocational trade school. The amount of the scholarship is $500 to be given from the “Grossmont High School Educational Foundation,” directly to the student.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 un-weighted. Student must be graduating in June of their final year
- Student must respond to the essay prompt either in the space provided or on a separate sheet of paper (maximum 2 pages).
- Challenges, academic or other will be taken into consideration.
- All applicants must submit the required certification and release forms to apply for the scholarship.
- All applicants must submit at least two recommendation letters.
- All applicants must submit a copy of their transcript and 12 week progress report.
- ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE POSTMARKED BY May 20th. Make sure that your name, student ID, and address, are written clearly or typed on the cover page.
The winning recipients will be announced on Senior Awards Night at Grossmont High School.